Wednesday 9 May 2012

Caoimhe Murphy: 1984

Second Year pupil Caoimhe Murphy shares with NewEnglish a Blog presentaion on George Orwell's 1984. Caoimhe studied the novel in short extracts this year.

Winston’s world, 1984

I read an extract of 1984 by George Orwell. I found the extract greatly interesting and the descriptive writing very entertaining.
I was amazed by how different Winston’s world is to ours; my first impression was that his world was unfair or cruel. In the extract I read about telescreens, which were televisions used to spy on the people. You could never turn off the telescreen, I found this in particular quite interesting, and it shows how little freedom the people of that time had.
I also read about the thought police. These police scrutinised every moment of a normal person’s day. They go around snooping into people’s windows, like an annoying bluebottle. The goals of the government are too great, as is the power. I don’t believe the government should have, or want, control like this.
I find the whole concept unacceptable. The whole idea of this much control is just unthinkable, for me.
I tried to find out more about the book on the internet. I found a very useful cartoon of the complete summary of the book. It is quite interesting. I’ll leave the link at the bottom of this page.